[mythtv-users] nVidia card

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Thu Mar 31 17:58:40 UTC 2005

Morten,

Depends a lot on your primary use.  I don't think many 5500 (and higher)
cards are passively cooled, so they'll probably be louder than a
passively-cooled 5200.  If all you want to do is (HD)TV playback, the
5200 seems to be a great choice (based on others' comments).  If you
want to do more, then a 5500 (or better) might be the ticket.

For example:

For ME, I wanted a QUIET card (for MythTV watching), but one with enough
power to run recent games well.  I wound up going with an MSI GeForce
6600GT/AGP model NX6600GT-VTD128
(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-150&depa=0).
I CAN vouch for the quietness (it's completely swamped by my case/PS
fans), but I don't yet have MythTV fully operational, so I can't comment
on the speed/capabilities.  I don't play a lot of commercial games, but
it's great for Racer (http://www.racer.nl/).

Personally, I'd DEFINITELY stick to nVidia cards under Linux, at least
for now.  From other posts, ATI is still a ways behind on their Linux
drivers.

So think about what you want it for and go from there...

Good luck,

Alan