[mythtv-users] Lite-On IR Keyboard and Learning Remotes

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Thu Mar 31 18:14:33 UTC 2005

This is SUCH a great idea.  I was thinking of getting an I/R keyboard
and trying to use the receiver with LIRC, but this is truly ingenious
and gets around it completely.  I have an older Radio Shack RS15-1994
learning remote, so I should be all set on that end.

By the way, for anyone else who might be looking for a programmable
remote, I HIGHLY recommend you check out: http://www.hifi-remote.com/ .
They have a PC-based (Windows OR Linux, uses Java) system
(http://controlremote.sourceforge.net) for programming the relatively
inexpensive (as cheap as $19.99 for the RS15-2102) One-For-All line of
remotes, allowing you to upload/download your configuration from your PC.

    * No more strugging with inputting the exactly correct key sequences
      on your remote.
    * No more worrying about losing your programming 'cause it took too
      long to change your batteries.
    * Macro keys (multiple operations from a single keystroke), allowing
      you to turn on and configure your equipment with a single keypress
    * And it offers capabilities that CAN'T be done with only the remote
      (like a SHIFT- function to essentially give you almost twice as
      many programmable keys).

All for free.  And no, I'm in no way affiliated.  Just a VERY happy
user.  But like MythTV, it's not very user-friendly (yet), so plan to
spend some time learning...

Alan