[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 w/ FireWire -- Looking for Input..

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:22:27 UTC 2005

> > > I just picked up a DCT6200/2005 from Comcast.  I have seen that there
> > > is a channel changing script, which works over firewire.  I have also
> > > seen that you can capture over the firewire, directly into MythTV.
> > >
> > > -I am looking for "gotchas" or tips.
> >
> > One gotcha that got me: I think my cable co. pushed down a firmware update
> at
> > some point that caused my box to power-cycle. Upon coming back up, it had
> > different FireWire bus node, and thus Myth couldn't find it anymore.
> Missed
> > last week's 24 and CSI:Miami because of it... :-\
> >
> > Aside from that, its been rock-solid.
>
> When running "./test-mpeg2 -r 1 > testing.ts" it captures 0 bytes
> UNLESS it is on an actual HD chanel.  Does this mean I can only
> capture HD channels over firewire?  Or is this utility only useful in
> testing HD capture?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> Well,
>
> Try hitting control-c and then trying it again and again and see if you get
> input from the other channels.  The DCT-6200s seem to go one or two
> ways....some of them have to use "Broadcast" connections which seems to mean
> that test-mpeg2 only works every 4th or 5th time.
>
> I'm in the bay area as well and I'm getting 2-80 and 702-722.
>
> -Todd

Interesting.
So is that more of a bug with the 6200, or is it a but with test-mpeg2
not being able to compensate the "broadcast" connection.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if this is the route (using
firewire) that I want to take...
If I can only get 2-80 and 702-722 for now, but the mpeg2ts is going
to be improving and I'll get more channels in a few months... then I'd
obviously stick with firewire.  However, if its an inherent and
unresolvable issue, I might just go with the PVR-150MCE.

Dave