[mythtv-users] IRW - cannot connect or file not found

Matt Mousseau matt at amsvans.com
Mon May 2 14:44:44 UTC 2005

I've been following Jarod's FC3 guide, and all is well...up to getting
lirc working for my homemade serial reciever.

I apt-got lirc, added the lines to my modprobe.conf file ... relevent
lines are below...

alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;\
    /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial

I am able to run mode2 as root and get output, I can run irrecord (had
to use -f for my remote), and can cat /dev/lirc and see a bunch of crap
whenever i press buttons on the remote. BUT when i try and run irw, i
get "cannot connect." I have a feeling that it is related to starting
the lircd service...when I try and start it using the "services"
program, I get "unable to start. error was:" with no indication as to
what happened. checking /var/log/messages doesn't seem to reveal
anything interesting... :-/

Anyway, since I don't have a clue...here is the rest I know:

I have these entries in /dev:
/dev/lirc
/dev/lirc0

Matthew Mousseau