[mythtv-users] apt-get update problems and problems upgrading

Bill Seisler billseisler at gmail.com
Mon May 2 15:03:51 UTC 2005

I've had mythtv running for a little while now using FC3 and 0.17. I
originally set the system up using Jarod's guide (which is awesome).
apt-get update returned bunzip2 errors (error code (2)) with some of
the locations it tried to grab the new lists from. I have plenty of
disk space available. I am behind a firewall and router, I use DSL,
but I never had this problem before. (Specifically, when setting up
the box.) I have searched through the Atrpm's archive and the
myth-users archive and found nothing that seems to help. I
re-installed the latest version of bzip from the rpm (version 1.0.2)
which was what I was running before, and that didn't help.

I decided to go back to Jarod's guide and grab the specific new files
I needed for the upgrade. apt-get could not find the new kernel.
(apt-get install kernel=2.6.11-1.14_FC3). This seems to indicate that
the kernel that I want to install is not downloaded or in the index
that I get from apt-get update. I manually grabbed the kernel rpm, but
I would like to fix this problem since there are several packages
based on the kernel that I need to get.

After more digging, I found that my initial attempt at upgrading did
update mythtv to version 0.18. I am running my original kernel
(2.6.10-1.741) however I am still perplexed as to why apt-get didn't
find the new kernel and why it seems to be running wierd. I also tried
running synaptic to graphically grab what I need, and the new kernel
was not listed there as well. Oddly enough, synaptic seems to self
destruct. When I try to run it a second time, the executable is never
found. I tried apt-get clean. That didn't work either.

I finally have mythtv version 0.18 running however ivtv and lirc-i2c
are not loading on boot, so I have to manually go in and load them and
then re-load mythbackend. This always seems to result in fuzzier than
normal video from my hauppauge 250 tuner card. I went in and
re-arranged the ivtv  and tuner related entries in my modprobe.conf
file but I have not re-booted yet. I seem to recall that I had to go
in somewhere before and add extra modprobe lines specifically for ivtv
and lirc_i2c so that they're called before mythbackend. I can't find
them now and I can't find where I read that.

If anyone has any ideas as to what else I can try to get apt-get
working better short of slicking and doing a full re-install, please
let me know. I consider myself half-capable at linux, I think if I can
get pointed in the right direction as to where to look to fix these
problems, I'll be alright.

Thanks for your help,
Bill