[mythtv-users] ALSA only

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:46:58 UTC 2005

On 5/2/05, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Monday 02 May 2005 04:07 pm, Nick wrote:
> > Isaac,
> >
> > Thanks for the information that OSS emulation is still needed in
> > certain circumstances - is it for all bttv cards that need to record
> > audio separately? I only ask as up until now my capture cards - DVB
> > and PVR-350 - either encode (350) or dump (DVB) audio with the video
> > and as I'm running 0.16, only mythmusic needs the OSS emulation from
> > ALSA (AIUI). (As I have a couple WinTV cards in my spares box, I was
> > going to setup a slave backend with these and maybe another DVB card.)
> >
> > If I was to install/upgrade to 0.18 and have no bttv cards recording
> > in the machine, am I able to be completely OSS free? I recall reading
> > that mythmusic now supports ALSA.
>
> What's the big deal about keeping alsa's oss emulation turned on?  It doesn't
> hurt _anything_.

No big deal. I'm just wondering whether it is needed in 0.17+.

For non-uber-linux-geeks like me it's another variable that can (and
has) cause issues when sorting out sound issues (like oss devices not
being created, configuring the oss emu options correctly), so I
figured it'd be one less thing to have to worry about in the future.

On a more general level learning Linux, I also try to understand what
the various modules are doing and what they are needed for. As my PVR
will not have changing hardware, my intention is to remove modules
that are loaded but not required, hence the question about the oss
emulation modules and musing about solely using ALSA.

Nick