[mythtv-users] SlightOT - Broadcast flag - current status?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue May 3 01:40:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 06:04:21PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 06:53 -0700, Wendy Seltzer wrote:
> > If the court does strike down the FCC's flag, I suspect we'll see heavy
> > lobbying to Congress to re-impose it.
>
> So what's the point of fighting it then?  If this is a merry-go-round
> that never stops then the lobbyists surely will always win.  The
> "copyright consortium" surely has more money and attention span on this
> matter than any number of groups that want to fight it.
>
> The good ol' American legal and political systems: where the one with
> the most money always wins.  ~sigh~

Not always, because we do fight these things.  And we don't always win
but we win often enough to make it worth fighting.

You have to fight even battles you will lose too, because they would go
even further if they had no opposition.  For example they would have loved
to just encrypt their broadcast TV the same way they do satellite and
cable.

The flag was never going to stop active video pirates of course.  It
just stops the ordinary american from having an open source box like
Mythtv.   They try for whatever they can get.