[mythtv-users] No sound in mythtv, but other applications use sound fine

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:28:49 UTC 2005

On 5/1/05, przybyls at engr.arizona.edu <przybyls at engr.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using WinTV Go card bt878 and via ac '97 codec. These are my modules
> loaded below:
[snip]

> When I use tvtime, xawtv or mplayer, I get sound just fine. It is only
> when I use mythtv that I don't have sound. I don't believe that it has to
> do with sound output though. I believe my problem is rather to do with
> sound capture.
>
> My sound card is using /dev/dsp. It probably shouldn't, but it is. I think
> this is the reason for my problem. When I run mythtv-setup, my capture is
> configured to use /dev/dsp which is incorrect since I'm using Television
> input.
>
> Does anyone know what to do about this? I want to use ALSA exclusively for
> sound, but I wonder if that is possible if my tuner card requires OSS for
> capture support.

Did you already try the sound troubleshooting page of the mythtv
documentation? Specifically, run xawtv with the sound muted and aplay
/dev/dsp. You should hear the sound with a slight delay. If you do,
then I'm afraid your problem is beyond my limited knowledge. If not,
then make sure you have line out from your tv card connected to line
in on your sound card. Then use the mixer to mute line in and set it
as the recording source.

When I had a similar problem and had tried all of the above, someone
suggested to me to run alsaconf to reset modprobe.conf. This worked
for me.

Regards,

Chris