[mythtv-users] Re: Someone PLEASE help. No OpenGL Transistions inMythgallery

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Tue May 3 22:48:42 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:

>>/ If you want it, you'll need to recompile from the srpms and pass in
/>>/ additional options with the --with flag (I haven't done this myself
/>>/ with the rpms, so I'm not sure what the options are).  You may need
/>>/ to "rpm -ivh" the ...src.rpm file and check the spec file in
/>>/ /usr/src/redhat/SPECS to figure out the options & syntax.  I don't
/>>/ think Axel documented the options in the package info (yet.
/>>/ Hopefully soon...).
/
> What is there to document? The plugins have no build options and
> mythtv's build options are quite self-explaining (or do
> --without-alsa, --with-directfb etc. need more expanations???)

This is fine for you and me, who know how to extract and look at the
spec file, but for a newbie who just wants to recompile with specific
options, I think it would be nicer for them if they could just "rpm -qpi
<package>.src.rpm" and have the description field print out the
available --with and --without options along with a brief description of
their function.  Then the user could recompile with "rpmbuild --rebuild
<--with-or-without-options> <package>.src.rpm".  That way (s)he never
has to install the rpm, nor know where the spec file resides & how to
look at it.  I use it 'cause I can never remember if the packager put
the package together using "--with-alsa" or "--without-alsa", etc.  And
you may set your defaults one way and another packager may set them
differently.

Matthias Saou over at FreshRPMS does this with most of his source RPMS
and I find it very useful.  But its only a suggestion from a user to
take or leave as you see fit.

BTW, _shouldn't_ the plugins have build options (since the plugins
themselves do, such as OpenGL, festival, etc.)?