[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 00:15:39 UTC 2005

--- Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to build a MythTV box.  I've been using
> FreeBSD for around 4
> years but  I have no experience with Linux.  So my
> first attempt was to
> build Myth on FreeBSD but there were lots of
> problems and eventually I
> gave up.   Since MythTV was written for Linux I
> thought I might have an
> easier time just using Linux.
>
> I started with Knoppmyth but couldn't get the CD to
> boot on my system.
> Lurking here and seeing the success others were
> having with Fedora and
> Jarod Wilson's guide prompted me to give that a try.
>  But unfortunately,
> I have a Promise 150 SATA controller in my system.
> Attached to this
> card is a PATA (regular IDE) drive.  However the
> sata_promise driver
> doesn't support the PATA interface on this card.
> Only the SATA
> interfaces.
>
> Googling suggested that to get this support, I
> needed to patch the
> sources with libata-devel and rebuild my own kernel.
>  Lot's of googling
> later and I've built and installed a custom kernel.
> Seems to boot fine
> and the PATA drive is now recognized!  :)   But now,
> other packaged
> modules such as the nvidia and ivtv drivers in Jarod
> Wilson's guide
> don't work.   :(   I suspect this is because they
> were packaged for the
> default kernel and not the custom one I built?
>
> It appears I need to learn a whole lot more about
> Linux and how to build
> what I need from source.  Am I on the right track?
> Can anyone suggest
> some good newbie guides to this stuff?  I find
> snippets googling but
> have been unable to turn up any complete guides.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
>
> --
> Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
> Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
>
> http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com

nvidia and ivtv are very easy, nvidia just download
the version you want (probably 7174) so wget
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7174/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run
and then as root sh
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run
It'll do everything for you, build and install the
kernel module and the xorg driver/libs.
For ivtv just download what you need, I have a old
freestyle so I would use wget
http://www.ivtv.tv/releases/ivtv-0.2/ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j.tgz
tar xzf ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j.tgz; cd
ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j/driver; make; make install; cd
../utils; make make install
Hope this make sense, trying to get the kids ready for
bed.
I had to create some devices in /etc/udev/devices for
the nvidia stuff and had to set up an file to load
modules before mythbackend starts, basically modprobe
ivtv

Howard