[mythtv-users] Xorg over Hauppauge PVR-350 tv-out woes

Jason Scott Musits jmusits at gmail.com
Wed May 4 00:49:19 UTC 2005

Well I have ben working on getting Xorg's output through my Hauppauge
PVR-350's tv-out for quite a while now and I am VERY stuck.  So I
thought I would consult the experts.  The problem I am having is Xorg's
output is split into four quadrants.  The upper left and right quadrants
are Xorg's output but the color is all messed up (the hue and saturation
are screwy, color is purple and green).  The bottom left and right
quadrants are just blank.

First off, I will outline what I have working properly and some system
specs.

1) The PVR-350 encodes video fine.
2) MythTV works flawlessly via normal Xorg output to my monitor.
3) MythTV outputs video via the PVR-350's tv-out to a TV flawlessly.

I am running Gentoo Liux with kernel 2.6.11.

# uname -a
Linux reba 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #1 Mon May 2 21:16:02 AST 2005 i686 Pentium
III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

# lspci
0000:01:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

The PVR-350's tv-out is identified as /dev/fb0.

I am using the ivtv-0.2.0_rc3-4 ebuild (ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j) and the
mythtv-0.16 ebuild (mythtv-0.16).

Here are the relevant lines from my xorg.conf

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    Load        "v4l"
    SubSection  "extmod"
        Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Television"
    HorizSync   30-68
    VertRefresh 50-120
    Mode    "720x480"
        DotClock    34.564
        HTimings 720 752 840 928
        VTimings 480 484 488 504
        Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
    EndMode
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Haupauge PVR-350"
    Driver      "ivtvdev"
    Option      "ivtv" "/dev/fb0"
    BusID       "PCI:01:09:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Haupauge Screen"
    Device      "Haupauge PVR-350"
    Monitor     "Television"
    DefaultDepth    16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        FbBpp       32
        Modes       "720x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

The following register switches were recommended in another post but
they did not fix anything for me.

ivtvctl -j reg=0x6c,val=0xfa -d /dev/video16
ivtvctl -j reg=0x2d,val=0x38 -d /dev/video16

Well I think that's all I have.  If anyone needs more info about
something please let me know, I'll gladly post it.  Thanks in advance
for your help and I'm sorry about making such a long post.

Peace

Jason