[mythtv-users] Xbox Versions

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:47:59 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Shaun Bryant <sbryant at thepit.org> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Why did you do a hardware hack for you where just going to run it as a front-end?

Because all the HOWTO's I read said you couldn't do a software hack on
a 1.6b box which is what I got at Best Buy.

> I have 5 Xboxes running now all with Xebian, each runs very well with SD video (forget HD).
 My suggestion would be to pick one up used, this is how I bought mine
and thus did not have to stress as much about the version.

Hi Shaun,
I don't understand why buying used would eliminate the need to replace
the BIOS? I'm getting the message both here and privately that I must
use the Cromwell BIOS if I want a Linux only box.

I think I'm probably far too confused and far too frustrated at this
point to understand all the info I'm getting. I probably am getting it
all wrong. Mainly I just want to thrown the thing away this morning
and go sleep it off somewhere but my mod chip guy said he'd try to get
the DuoX2 working again so I cannot turn down such a nice offer. I
hope we can get Cromwell on there. That would be nice.

None the less, with $250 into the project at this point I'd like to
get what I already own working. I cannot afford to go in a new
direction. Money's gone. Either it works or it dies. (Or I do!) ;-)

Thanks,
Mark