[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed May 4 19:00:21 UTC 2005

On 5/4/2005 11:08 AM Jeff Simpson wrote:

>On 5/3/05, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to build a MythTV box.
>>[ snip ]
>>Googling suggested that to get this support, I needed to patch the
>>sources with libata-devel and rebuild my own kernel.  Lot's of googling
>>later and I've built and installed a custom kernel.  Seems to boot fine
>>and the PATA drive is now recognized!  :)   But now, other packaged
>>modules such as the nvidia and ivtv drivers in Jarod Wilson's guide
>>don't work.   :(   I suspect this is because they were packaged for the
>>default kernel and not the custom one I built?
>>
>>It appears I need to learn a whole lot more about Linux and how to build
>>what I need from source.  Am I on the right track?  Can anyone suggest
>>some good newbie guides to this stuff?  I find snippets googling but
>>have been unable to turn up any complete guides.
>>

>You're in a tough position. Being new to linux, you'd like to have a
>system that is very easy to use, but seeing that you have strange and
>partially unsupported hardware, it makes it tough.
>
>Not to be a gung-ho gentoo user, but using a linux distro that is
>source-based may be a good idea for you. That way you won't ever run
>into problems where a package is compiled for a certain kernel / os /
>etc.
>
>Once I had gentoo up and running, myth is almost as simple as "emerge
>mythtv ivtv". I'm sure it's almost as easy for those using apt-get or
>possibly yum, but I believe those are still using pre-compiled binary
>packages.
>
>Gentoo is tough to start out with, but the install guide is very full
>featured and explains every step of the way, and the forums are great
>for getting answers to difficult problems.

Thanks for the tip!  Your the second that has recommended Gentoo.  I may
go that route as it sounds more like the FreeBSD that I am used to.  I
just tried Fedora because it's very similar to RedHat and RedHat is the
only "allowed" distro (because of support contracts) at my place of
employment.  Thus I'd be "killing two birds with one stone", so to speak.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse