[mythtv-users] Nvidia picture size (SVIDEO)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed May 4 19:51:55 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 15:18, Mark Howells wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to make progress now with my mythtv box :)  So much so
> that I've been using it on my TV - even watched a movie last night.
> Anyhow,  the TV image is small and whatever I do to try and change it
> appears to have no effect.  The basic X screen appears as 4:3 (or so
> it seems) and seems to fill the screen vertically.  It's a widescreen
> TV so I expect black borders down the side.  However, when I switch to
> watch TV (or a recording playback) I get a widescreen image
> letterboxed into the 4:3.  None of the settings I have tried appear to
> make any difference.  I seem to be so near yet so far.
>
> I have tried using the overscan facility within Mythtv (0.18) but
> settings higher that 20 cause picture corruption and still don't
> change the size of the image.
>
> I'm using a Geforce MX4000 and driving the TV via SVIDEO.  The picture
> quality seems OK for LiveTV but really grainy and flimmery
> (interlaced?) for text and the X windows herringbone background.
>
> I've been googling like donkey on drugs but haven't found anything
> that makes _any_ difference to what I see on the screen.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  I've enclosed relevant sections of my
xorg.conf

IIRC, S-Video is only capable of outputting a 4:3 picture.  You could
try playing around with the aspect ratio menu ('M' while watching a
recording or livetv), but I don't think it will help much.  You might
want to check to see if your TV has a 'stretch' mode that forces it to
assume the incoming 4:3 signal is really a letterboxed 16:9 picture and
scale it appropriately.  Some widescreen TVs have such a mode; some
even try to autodetect.

-JAC