[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu May 5 04:28:40 UTC 2005

On 5/4/2005 6:38 PM David Brieck Jr. wrote:

>On 5/4/05, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the tip!  Your the second that has recommended Gentoo.  I may
>>go that route as it sounds more like the FreeBSD that I am used to.  I
>>just tried Fedora because it's very similar to RedHat and RedHat is the
>>only "allowed" distro (because of support contracts) at my place of
>>employment.  Thus I'd be "killing two birds with one stone", so to speak.
>>

>Well, then let me be the 3rd to recomend gentoo. The servers I admin
>at work are RedHat so I get plenty of RPM hell there. It's nice to
>come home and sit in front of my Myth setup and just relax. Another
>nice thing for me is that I can upgrade just myth and it's
>dependancies and not worry about upgrading to the last FC version or
>whatnot. My Myth box is still running a 2.4 kernel and old stuff all
>over the place but I don't have any problems upgrading myth whenever
>there is a new version. Some would say Gentoo is not a stable platform
>but I say it's as stable as you want it to be.

Well as they say, "the third time is the charm!".  I went to the
gentoo.org web site and like what I see.  I have been completely
frustrated with Fedora and the packages "getting in my way".  I've
missed the simple 'portinstall <port>' and have the system build from
source, optimized for my processor and environment.  Gentoo seems to
have this with 'emerge' and may provide a "best of both worlds"
solutions for me.  I'll learn how Linux works and be able to find my way
around a RedHat system without too much trouble.  I'll learn to deal
with rpm issues at work but my home system will be mine to do with as I
wish.

I'm downloading the universal install CD now.  It will take too long for
me to try it tonight but hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse