[mythtv-users] Nvidia picture size (SVIDEO)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu May 5 13:57:49 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 17:08, Mark Smith wrote:
> In message <200505041551.55463.jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
>           "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > IIRC, S-Video is only capable of outputting a 4:3 picture.
>
> I'm not sure whether it's capable of signalling a 16:9 picture. There
> certainly appears be no obvious way of doing that under software
> control.
>
> However it most certainly is capable of outputting a 16:9 picture (or
> any
> other aspect ratio you like) - you just have to set your TV manually
> display it as such.

You might be able to have X output a 16:9 display size to the video
card, but the TV encoder chip is still going to convert the signal to
standard NTSC (or PAL) resolution, which is 4:3.  That's why I
mentioned the TV's 'strectch' mode; you need to tell the television
that you're displaying 16:9 content letterboxed inside a 4:3 signal so
that it can do the work to rescale the picture appropriately.  Some
low-end widescreen TVs might not have such a capability, I suppose.  To
have your video card output a signal that the TV will automatically
recognize as being 16:9, you would need to use a DVI or component video
connection.

Or am I getting something fundamentally wrong here?

-JAC