[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:58:54 UTC 2005

> Well as they say, "the third time is the charm!".  I went to the
> gentoo.org web site and like what I see.  I have been completely
> frustrated with Fedora and the packages "getting in my way".  I've
> missed the simple 'portinstall <port>' and have the system build from
> source, optimized for my processor and environment.  Gentoo seems to
> have this with 'emerge' and may provide a "best of both worlds"
> solutions for me.  I'll learn how Linux works and be able to find my way
> around a RedHat system without too much trouble.  I'll learn to deal
> with rpm issues at work but my home system will be mine to do with as I
> wish.
>
> I'm downloading the universal install CD now.  It will take too long for
> me to try it tonight but hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!

By "tomorrow" you probably mean "over the course of the next week or
so". Gentoo takes a long time to install, mainly because you have to
do a lot of it by hand. The best way is to have a spare PC around that
you can use for browsing the net and searching/posting gentoo forums
for help as you go. Deciding what to partition where and getting the
initial install is the hard part, once you pick what you want you can
just follow the gentoo myth guides that are out there, for the most
part (I believe - I'm not sure since I installed myth on top of an
already-working gentoo system)

 - Jeff