[mythtv-users] Audio incoming and outgoing

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri May 6 00:03:55 UTC 2005

karsten wrote:
> Related to my problems with Myth and Alsa:
>
> Does MythTv require that audio is captured on the same logical device
> which is later used to output it?

No, the two are independent.

> Reason is that I have sound from MythMusic, but not the live video.
> I have a Hauppauge WinTv 401 which includes audio capture.

No such thing as "included" ;-). Capable of working with btaudio,
possibly but you would still need to set up, configure and test that
capture is working. Even if it is, there are limitation with btaudio
that make patching to a full-function soundcard the better choice
unless you are out of card slots (or money =) and have to use btaudio.

> So Myth should capture from one device and output to another, but I am
> not certain that this is possible judging from the setup page. unless
> the setup page only deals with the sound capture. As I said - I am not
> certain.

The device for capture when recording per capture card is set in
mythtv-setup . The device for playback to output sound for all
myth modules per frontend host is set in Setup->General. Not only
are these not necessarily the same device, they often aren't even
the same machine. They are only the same when the same soundcard
is used for capture and playback which is typical of a single
tuner standalone machine.

If you've set up a soundcard for alsa playback and you are using
btaudio for capture, these will certainly have different device
numbers.

Hope this helps.

--  bjm