[mythtv-users] Setting up a DVB Card

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri May 6 08:23:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 20:45 +0200,
Geek.Lists.MythTV at MattWynne.fastmail.fm wrote:
> Having read your post, I ran all the packages above (only the last three
> actually updated anything, somehow I'd already got the first two) then
> did 'make' and 'insmod'[2][3] of dvb-kernel (again!) but I still can't
> see any 'DVB:' entries in dmesg[1]... which is my success criteria for
> this step...

Not quite sure what you mean by this (the make & insmod) bit.
Have you tried a reboot - this stuff is mainly pulled in by the early
part of sysinit when it scans the pci bus and pulls in the appropriate
driver sets

> Would you mind explaining how you knew which apt-get packages you
> needed, and how I would go about figuring out which I need for my Nebula
> card? (according to the linuxtv wiki[4] it's the same as an ATI NXT6000)

Well the KWorld DVB card is cx88 based:-
 % /sbin/lspci |grep Conexant
 02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Winfast TV2000 XP (rev 05)
 02:09.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant: Unknown device 8802 (rev 05)
 02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Winfast TV2000 XP (rev 05)
 02:0a.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant: Unknown device 8802 (rev 05)

I have 2 cards installed, hence the 2 sets of entries

Basically I checked what kernel modules were in the ATrpms repo:-
 % yum list '*2.6.11-1.14_FC3-kmdl*'

recognised cx88 as one that was relevant (you can use yum info if you
don't know what a package is addressing).

Installing cx88 pulled in several of the other packages as dependencies,
unfortunately it missed saa7134 which is required, but is not detected,
so the first boot after did not load the drivers (errors show up
somewhere related to symbols with names like saa*).   Adding that module
set and booting fixed this.

Basically you need to identify exactly which chipset your card is using.
If that is not one of the standard ones then you are going to have to
find and build drivers for it.  Remember that modules are kernel
configuration dependant so you can't pull modules for another kernel
build into your kernel (unless you enjoy pain and crashes).

I got the DVB-T cards I use based on 2 criteria:-
      * They are explicitly supported on the LinuxTV DVB-T pages (and
        even so I initially got one for trials and then added the other
        after I was sure it worked).
      * These are the only cards I found with an accessible aerial in
        and aerial out connections - so I need no splitters to make the
        thing work.

	Nigel.