[mythtv-users] Lightweight Backend

Jonathan Watmough jonathan.watmough at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:46:36 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> On May 6, 2005 10:54 am, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> > Leigh wrote:
> > > So set mythbackend to start in (for example) runlevel 3 ,and then
> change
> > > your grub (or whatever bootloader you use) to boot in level 3 instead
> of
> > > 5. I've only used Redhat/Fedora, so I don't know for definate on other
> > > distro's, but runlevel 3 for me is console only, it doesn't startX.
> >
> > actually, it has nothing to do with your bootloader. set the default
> > run level in /etc/inittab. i'm pretty sure run level 3 is standard for
> > console-only, as every distro i've touched uses this. they differ on
> > which one runs X (slack uses 4, most others use 5), but you should be
> > fine w/ 3.
> >
> > -g-
>
> The runlevel conventions are not universal. By default, Debian has
> identical
> runlevels 2-5 and leaves it up to the admin to customize it. Debian
> defaults
> to runlevel 2.
>
> Mark

On Gentoo, my machine comes up to runlevel 3 by default, i.e. just a command
line. No KDE or Gnome.

However Mythbackend *is* running at this point. The command to have
mythbackend running on Gentoo is

rc-update add Mythbackend default

This way the backend will come up on any reboots. Note that MySQL also needs
to be up. This should be taken care of by the dependencies in the rc-script
system.