[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Myth community

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Fri May 6 15:20:02 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, Ryan A. Carris <racarris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why the heck do you feel you deserve free listings from Tribune? I
> think that they have every right to charge us. They charge Comcast,
> DirectTV, Tivo and everyone else. They spend money on servers,
> bandwidth, system administators, and people to input the data. Do you
> expect them to give this away for free?

I would have no problem with them charging for the data but if they are
planning to do it under the veil of helping open source I disagree. If they
want to charge they should come right out and say so.

They have been as open and generous as they can. If you don't agree
> with that statement, I suggest you try and use one of the listing
> scappers, like we used to have to do and like the rest of the world
> uses. It isn't always fun. Better yet, why don't you sit around
> every Sunday and type up the TV Guide and upload it for me to use.
> Just make sure you type up the Chicago Comcast listings, but I don't
> need the digital cable, so you can save some time and skip those.

When they decide to charge for listing I'll be signing up, none of us will
have a choice. Oh, and why don't we have a choice? Because they have a
stranglehold on the tv and movie listings here in america. Where else can
you find this data? No where and that's because everyone uses them, yahoo,
microsoft, and every newspaper site out there.

Once again, if this were Microsoft you'd be bitching along with me as well.