[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri May 6 18:53:41 UTC 2005

On 5/5/2005 12:56 PM David Brieck Jr. wrote:

>>By "tomorrow" you probably mean "over the course of the next week or
>>so". Gentoo takes a long time to install, mainly because you have to
>>do a lot of it by hand. The best way is to have a spare PC around that
>>you can use for browsing the net and searching/posting gentoo forums
>>for help as you go. Deciding what to partition where and getting the
>>initial install is the hard part, once you pick what you want you can
>>just follow the gentoo myth guides that are out there, for the most
>>part (I believe - I'm not sure since I installed myth on top of an
>>already-working gentoo system)
>>
>> - Jeff
>>

>I would second that. I always get the SSH server up and running first
>so I can do other things and read the manuals in an easier fashion
>while getting things installed. I would probably do a stage3 install
>to get you up and running fairly quickly. Afterwards you can always
>recompile your entire system over the weekend or something.

Yeah, actually it's been harder than that.  To sum it up, right now I'm
sitting at work, looking at the livecd# prompt via an ssh connection.
The livecd boot seems to have only picked up my IDE drive attached to my
Promise 150 PATA connector.  I can see it via fdisk /dev/sda1.

I also have two SCSI drives connected to an Advansys controller but they
are nowhere to be found.  I know I was required to load a driver when
installing Fedora Core 3.  I suspect I have to do something similar here
but have no clue where to begin.  Google hasn't turned up anything so I
made a plea to the gentoo-users list.  I'm anxiously awaiting someone to
take pity on me.  :)

Cheers,

Drew

--