[mythtv-users] Slightly O/T NForce3 questions

Steve Christall mythtv at mctubster.com
Sun May 8 11:08:36 UTC 2005

Hi all.

I thought I had made it, a stable Myth box running 0.18 on FC2.  Now I
am having some kind of hardware failure (currently running a dual P3 +
SB Live + TNT2).  Yesterday I swapped out the PS, no change, then I
bought a second hand mb for £10 and tried that .... still freezes /
reboots.  Running memory tests now but seems OK .. sigh

Anyway I thought an easier way would be to go for a Sempron (which I
hear are low power) and a Nforce3 motherboard.  I have concerns about
the video out and digital sound out.  I have been looking at full sized
ATX boards, and they all seem to come with ALC850 based sound

1 / Has anyone out there got SPDIF out working with Myth and the ALC850
chipset? (which seems to be on all of the NForce3 boards)

2 / Are they any catches with the onboard video out  (I am driving a
1280x720 projector)  Basically I want to reduce the card count I have at
the moment (eg I currently have seperate video card, sep sound card, sep
network card, dvb card, pvr350).

3 / Can anyone suggest a better chipset / board that is the most
compatible with Linux / Myth and supports latest Sempron, and pref not
VIA (had interrupt nightmares over the years)

Thanks a lot
Steve