[mythtv-users] Multiple (duplicate) instances of mythfrontend

Colin Smillie csmillie at gmail.com
Sun May 8 20:47:56 UTC 2005

On 5/8/05, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> to restart the frontend if it is not running.  Problem is, when I restart
> the frontend, I sometimes (but not always) get two instances of the
> frontend, and this causes conflicts with sound, among other things.  It's

Are you sure your getting 2 new instances or is the old instance not
being killed off?  I had a similar problem where the frontend wouldn't
die without a kill -9 instruction.   I modified my script to include
this.  I also expanded it to cover mplayer and xine ( included below
), there might be better implementations...

Colin

#!/bin/bash
#Kill Xine
PROG=xine
STATUS=`ps -e | grep -w $PROG | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`
if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
then
    echo "No Xine Running"
else
    echo "Killing Xine"
    killall $PROG
    killall -9 $PROG
fi

#Kill Xine
PROG=mplayer
STATUS=`ps -e | grep -w $PROG | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`
if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
then
    echo "No Mplayer Running"
else
    echo "Killing Mplayer"
    killall $PROG
    killall -9 $PROG
fi

#Kill or Start MythFrontEnd
PROG=mythfrontend
STATUS=`ps -e | grep $PROG | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
then
    ( $PROG & )
else