[mythtv-users] PIP in Program Guide in MythTV sample screenshot?

Louie Ilievski loudawg at comcast.net
Sun May 8 20:52:00 UTC 2005

On Saturday 07 May 2005 03:28
> It appears that someone has sucessfully put a PIP display into the program
> guide.  Is that really the case, or what is it?

I think this was mentioned, but just to make sure, I'll explain.  When you're
watching TV through the 350, the MPEG2 stream is fed to the 350's decoder.
When you're in the "Watch Recordings" menu, that little preview image is not
fed through the decoder, but rather software decoded.  This is where the
problem lies.  If the "PIP" video were to be put in the tv-guide while
watching live tv, then probably playback through the decoder would have to be
stopped, then re-started again using software for the corner image.  Then,
when exiting the guide, it would be re-started again through the decoder.  I
think the problem here is obvious.

> Of course, it would be
> fabulous to have such a feature - perhaps use a second tuner if available
> to show what is on the channel you're flipping through while still looping
> the channel you're currently tuned to.... *shrug*

As it stands now, this is not what is done.  That video in the EPG is simply a
shrunk down version of what you are currently watching when you enter the
EPG.

Personally, I like the way it is now with the 350 and the transparency.  I
think it looks really cool.  Also, I don't find a need to see the corner
video flipping through the channels as I browse the EPG, because that is
exactly what the EPG is for:  to tell you exactly what is on, without the
need to "surf."  Just my opinion though.

~Lou