[mythtv-users] nuvexport and mencoder (was: Using spare PCs)

Daniel Howell howelld at brumster.com
Tue May 10 00:37:57 UTC 2005

Aha, so, battling around with this I've made "some" progress.

I'd had advice (and seent his before, to be honest) that the .nuv files
are infact just MPEG2 streams from DVB-T cards, but this clearly wasn't
the case for me as simply renaming them and shifting them onto a windows
box wasn't working.... Windows Media Player didn't like the files at all,
and PowerDVD played them but they appeared highly corrupt.

Surfing around, I found that using mencoder works a treat :-

mencoder -of mpeg -ovc copy -oac copy -o output.mpg <whatever.nuv>

...which is strange, because I've purposely told it to just do a straight
stream copy... but the resulting file is spot on (WMP opens, but just
shows a blank screen - however PowerDVD is perfectly happy and plays the
video fine).

So, that's all good, but it's hardly integrated into myth. So I head for
the nuvexport --mencoder option. However this seems to be reliant on
"lvemux"...

>Using mencoder for exporting.
>What would you like to do?
>
>  1. Export to XviD (using mencoder)
>  2. MPEG2->MPEG2 cut only (disabled)
>  3. Export to .nuv and .sql
>
>  q. Quit
>
>Choose a function:  2
>
>You need lvemux to use this.
>Press ENTER to continue.

Errm.... why? I've run it manually without any need for it, is there some
way I can hack nuvexport so it just does the straight copy process on the
MPEG2 streams, and hence does away with the need for lvemux?

My perl experience is non-existent :D but I really don't want to be
matching up those horrible .nuv filenames to my programmes manually.

Cheers guys - almost there with this one, it seems...

Dan