[mythtv-users] Simple power down/power up solution

Barry Jett bjett80 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:30:03 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Barry Jett <bjett80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought I would share this simple solution for remotely powering up
> > my Myth frontend box.
> >
> > My Myth hi-def system has a Epia 10k backend collecting firewire
> > goodness from a Motorola 6200. My frontend is a 2.8G on an Asus
> > P4R800-VM. During winter my frontend doubles as a space heater,
> > but with summer on the way I needed a solution to remotely power
> > up/down this box.
> >
> > This motherboard WILL NOT restart from wake-on-lan ( and I hope
> > someone can disprove me on this). I've tried everything, but when
> > you power down the system the ethernet will power down as well. I
> > suspect the problem is due to the driver for the ATI 9100 on-board
> > lan. I also tried bios tricks for setting the wake on a schedule time
> > with no avail.
>
> Barry,
>
> My Pundit-R (uses the ATI IXP200/9100IGP chipset) does not support
> WOL, which is a PITA. I currently use nvram-wakeup to let it turn off
> and on on its own, but obviously this does not let you wake it up
> remotely.
>
> I guess one solution (if you have space) is to install a WOL capable
> NIC, but if the current Heyu solution is working fine, why change it?
>
> Nick

Nick,

I'm encouraged to hear you have the same problem with WOL....thought I
might be doing something wrong.

In today's energy environment you would think computers would be leading
the charge with reliable WOL, clock throttling cpu's  and better disk power
management that laptops enjoy.  Hopefully we'll get there before the lights
go off !

Barry