[mythtv-users] Scary times ahead

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:33:11 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Martin <mmacleod at london.edu> wrote:
> ... I decided to create myself a linux project to teach me the basics
> and get to know my way around, because I do like the open source model and
> think it is the way forward, so a Fedora HTPC is my pet project.

Great. Welcome to Linux and MythTV

You are starting a journey that many many before you have embarked upon.

> For those of you Linux Gurus who fancy a laugh, I will be documenting the
> entire process as I feel it will be useful for other newbies as alot of docs
> assume a level of linux knowledge that some people just do not have.

You're right - for someone who wants to understand the UNIX/Linux
filesystem layout and command set, it's a steep learning curve - This
might help you start learning Linux if you choose to install Fedora:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/

As for MythTV, read everything linked here first -
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/InstallingMythtv

> I am
> aware that there will be a hell of a lot of googling for error messages, and
> probably alot of posting to this group, and I expect to have less hair and a
> few very frustrating days/weeks before I am finished, but its time to try
> something new and learn something along the way...

My advice:

- Learn how to use vi

- whenever possible, stick with older hardware that is known to work
in Linux/MythTV and has worked / had drivers for a long time. This
will save you a lot of grief.

- have an old test / crash and burn system for learning about Linux
that is separate from your mythtv system. Nobody likes it when the
TV's broken :)

- Download every distro you can get your hands on and install them all
on your test system to help you learn about Linux and different
distributions - my short list would be: Knoppix, Fedora, Ubuntu,
Gentoo - others are here: http://www.linuxiso.org

- follow an existing guide for either fedora or knoppmyth to get
mythtv up and running quickly

- bite off a bit of Linux at a time - many of us on this list have
*significant* experience with Linux and UNIX and we're *still*
learning

-Ross