[mythtv-users] DVB-C channel scanning problems

Justin Williams mythtv-users at jswilliams.org
Wed May 11 21:52:54 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

I've been working on a MythTV setup for a while now in my spare time.  I'm
following Jarod's guide and
it's been working rather well for the most part.  I've been running into
trouble with the tuning of
the card/channel scanning.

For the record - here's the relevant hardware:
        2x HD-3000 capture cards
        Intel D865PERLL mobo (w/ onboard sound)
        3.0 P4 Northwood Processor
        Chaintech SH5200 (nVidia GeForce 5200)

More details here, if anyone's interested:
        http://jswilliams.org/?cat=6

I'm using Fedora Core 3, and the 2.6.11 kernel.  Eventually I'm going to get
an HD antenna and get OTA
HD, but for now, I'm trying to pull it from my Comcast Digital Cable.  I'm
trying to use the DVB
drivers for the capture cards.  Things I read seem to indicate that I should
be able to tune to HD
channels coming from my cable provider, but documentation is sparse at best
and I'm not getting any
useful results.

Essentially what happens is this:  I run mythtvsetup and things work just
fine until I scan for
channels. Then either it gets stuck at 5% and never moves on, or it scans
all the way through, but
locks in on very few or no stations.  Even if it does lock in on a station
and enter the channel, I
can't seem to view it.

At any rate - I'm hoping to find a bit of guidance about using DVB with a
cable provider.  Any takers?