[mythtv-users] Simple power down/power up solution

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Wed May 11 22:07:13 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

> On 5/11/05, Barry Jett <bjett80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought I would share this simple solution for remotely
> powering up my Myth frontend box.

<snip>
> > This motherboard WILL NOT restart from wake-on-lan ( and I hope
> > someone can disprove me on this). I've tried everything,
> but when you
> > power down the system the ethernet will power down as well.
> I suspect
> > the problem is due to the driver for the ATI 9100 on-board
> lan. I also
> > tried bios tricks for setting the wake on a schedule time with no
> > avail.
>

> My Pundit-R (uses the ATI IXP200/9100IGP chipset) does not
> support WOL, which is a PITA. I currently use nvram-wakeup to
> let it turn off and on on its own, but obviously this does
> not let you wake it up remotely.

AOL, I use the power button on the remote which kills the frontend
then the backend automatically shuts down when it's idle. I was using the
wireless keyboard to turn it on (sat on a speaker behind the sofa so just
reach
behind and hit it ;-) ) but as I never use for anything apart from that the
batteries are dying and I probably wont bother to replace them.

I've been giving it some thought recently and I thought it might be possible
to hack a keyboard or mouse to give a key/button press when they detect an
IR signal, it would have to detect the correct button otherwise any remote
would turn it on.
Trouble is that the only (hardware) decoders I looked at would be so much
grief/expense (for me anyway) to design/build I think I'll just walk over to

the box and hit the power button. :-)

David