[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate 200gig IDE, $60 -- REBATE FRAUD

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 22:35:31 UTC 2005

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> Recently I bought a series of Seagate drives, all
> different, and got most of the checks but they actually mailed a card
> saying I had done something wrong -- but not saying what the
> something
> was -- and that I could submit again (though of course I did not
> bother
> to copy some of the things I sent so I can't really.)

Yes, this is EXACTLY what happened to my Seagate rebates recently. I
dug a little deeper and found a phone number for this rebate house.  I
called and their rep told me that, because I had called and "verified
my application" my rebate would be processed and my checks sent.  I
asked what the problem was, and she told me there WAS NO PROBLEM.  It
was just their "policy" to "require confirmation" of the rebate
request.

So basically, they refuse a huge number of rebates for no reason and
then count on most of them just going away.  If this isn't consumer
fraud, I don't know what is.  Rebates are evil!