[mythtv-users] XvMC in preview?

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Sun May 15 01:05:32 UTC 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 7:57 PM, Howard Cokl wrote:

> --- Michael Carland <mcarland at bitsgonewild.net> wrote:
>> I may be misunderstanding what you are suggesting,
>> but I think you are
>> referring to MythVideo video playback, which is
>> working fine for me. I
>> am talking about the small preview window of the
>> recorded programs.
>> Even here, the actual playback is fine, it is only
>> the preview that
>> chews through cpu and looks poor. Media
>> Library->Watch Recordings.
>>
>> Turning on "CPU friendly preview of recordings"
>> helps, as it then only
>> uses 60% cpu. But since all other display of video
>> only uses 20%, and
>> this is the only display that has tearing and uses
>> 95% (or 60%) cpu,
>> I'm thinking the preview is not using XvMC like the
>> others.
>>
>> -Michael
> I'm not one of the dev guys, just a (l)user but it
> seems to me that what you are describing is perfectly
> natural.  The main screen is displaying the recorded
> OSD and generating a preview which it has to scale
> down to fit in a small size, the CPU load is more
> because it is doing more things at the same time.
>
> Howard

I would have thought the same thing, except that the live TV in the EPG
is scaled and inserted into an OSD, and that uses the same 20% cpu for
me. So I would assume that displaying an mpeg2 preview on an OSD would
be no different. But looking at the code, I got lost, and realized that
it would take me a lot of studying to get up to speed. So if I was
doing something stupid causing it not to work, or if it can't work for
some technical reason, I'd find some simpler thing to try and tweak
first, that had a lower learning curve.

-Michael