[mythtv-users] Advantages of different distros

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:28:58 UTC 2005

On 5/15/05, Simon Gade <junk1 at simongade.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll be setting up my very first MythTV / linux in a couple of weeks
> and have a few questions:
>
> I've never done anything in linux before - I'm pretty good at the
> wintel-thing although I only use mac myself. Should I go with Knoppmyth
> or try something else? What are the advantages of installing a
> different distro that Knoppmyth?

I've only ever run Myth on Redhat/Fedora, and I'm setting up a
frontend on my laptop running Enterprise Liunux 4 at the moment. If
you're new to Linux and want to be able to explore things other than
Myth, I'd probably recommend a 'regular' distribution such as Fedora
over a Myth-specific distro like KnoppMyth. The Fedora lifecycle is
relatively short, but my backend is running FC2 and I have no
intention of upgrading it unless there is a critical reason to.

Using Jarod's guide for example, and the atrpms.net repository,
keeping your system up to date is not a problem, unless you are using
really exotic hardware.

> I have (of course) looked at Jarod's guide which seems to be easy to
> follow. Is there any reason to install / configure audio and video on a
> dedicated backend that will be used only for recording and server?

I can only see audio being required if you are using a capture device
which relies on your sound system to record. Other than that, I can't
see AV needing to be configured on the backend. You may find that most
of the subsequent configuration and 'tinkering' on the backend is done
either via remote SSH logins, or using a web-based configuration tool,
which makes things very easy.

> Can't wait to get started!

It's totally worth it, even if it seems a little daunting in the beginning.

Nick