[mythtv-users] irman & lirc help

Andy O'Brien andyob at gmail.com
Sun May 15 22:02:55 UTC 2005

Hey Jeff, I have a similar problem to the one discussed below sometime
back, hoping you can help:

I have an "old" IRman plugged into com1 on my system, but can't get it
to take input at all.

I did the changes you suggested below, changed the symlink for
/dev/lirc to point to /dev/ttyS0, lircd starts ok, but irrecord
doesn't work and irw just exits to prompt immediately. Am I missing
something? Below is some of my settings, my box is sucessfully
connected via firewire, just using the remote to control myth.

[root at localhost dev]# /sbin/service lircd start
Starting infrared remote control daemon:                   [  OK  ]
[root at localhost dev]# ps -ef | grep lircd
root      5164     1  0 14:58 ?        00:00:00 lircd --driver=irman
--device=/dev/ttyS0
root      5168  4799  0 14:59 pts/2    00:00:00 grep lircd
[root at localhost dev]# irw
[root at localhost dev]# cd /dev/lir*
-bash: cd: /dev/lirc: Not a directory
[root at localhost dev]# ls -l /dev/lir*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 May 15 14:52 /dev/lirc -> ttyS0
crw-------  1 root root 61, 0 May 15 14:19 /dev/lirc0
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 May 15 14:58 /dev/lircd

If I switch the lirc link to point to lirc0 I get a connection refused
when running irw.

Thanks in advance for the assistance,
Andy