[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon May 16 18:10:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 11:03:14AM -0400, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Brian Meehan wrote:
>
> >When I got my Firewire-enabled 3250, (Rochester, NY) I had to go to
> >the office and call ahead first to let them know I was requesting one.
> >They only had a limited number of firewire-enabled ones. However, only
> >the HD channels output anything, and the moment I try to record HBO,
> >it stops outputting anything until I reset the cable box and the
> >firewire bus.
> >

> Oh, thats mighty annoying.  I was under the impression you could get all
> digital channels over firewire.  Is this the case for other people too?

The regs allow them to have the 1394 port speak one of the copy protection
protocols, but most reports imply that they are not doing this.

When they speak these protocols, the box will demand that the device it
is sending video to prove it is blessed and will obey no copy rules.
Ie. that it isn't mytytv.

Most people are reporting their boxes are not doing this, is anybody
finding that they are?  For example, my tv has a 1394 port on it.  If
I had digital cable I could plug the firewire port into that and it should
get the video even if the copy protection is in place, but mythtv would
not get it.