[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Nathan Poznick kraken at wang-fu.org
Mon May 16 22:27:30 UTC 2005

Thus spake Mark Knecht:
> My thought here is that the Linux platform may be *too* open to meet
> the basic requirements of 5C. (I'm assuming 5C or some form of it is
> still the overriding specification as to control of copyrighted
> material on the 1394 bus. I've been away from that for a couple of
> years now.) If 5C is still what people are using but the Linux
> environment handles software decoding of the material then the two may
> be in conflict with each other and the set top box never sends any
> data other than the strings required to set up the public/private
> keys.
>
> It would still be possible for a set top box to send fully digital
> non-copyrighted or copy-freely data if it chose to but I don't know if
> the cable folks are *required* to do that. Doing so may be optional.

Since I used to be able to capture from all the HD channels available,
it is indeed capable of it.  I recalled seeing a mention of 5C in the
diagnostics screen of my DCT-6200, so I checked.  If I tune to a SD
channel and enter the diagnostics screens (the 'Interface Status'
submenu in particular), it shows,
5C Implementation:          0
If I tune to an HD channel and enter the diagnostic menu again, I see
5C Implementation:          1

So, it appears to be perfectly possible for a cable company to enable 5C
on the HD channels and not on the SD ones.  I wonder if I called and
asked them about it, would they use it as a chance to try to sell me one
of their DVR add-ons?

> Again, this is all just supposition and should not be acted upon in
> any way as it could be completely bogus by now. This was just more for
> my own curiosity and also to *possibly* save you some time trying to
> find something you're never going to find anyway.

Oh, I've pretty much given up hope of being able to record HD from the
1394 port on the 6200 - at least with my current cable provider.

--
Nathan Poznick <kraken at wang-fu.org>

"Sounds like your monster reads Frost." -Joel. #212