[mythtv-users] MPEG2 acceleration with PUNDIT-R (9100 IGP)

Xiaotian Sun sun.xiaotian at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:59:17 UTC 2005

On 5/18/05, vala ki <valaki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I'm actually able to playit with only a few dropped frames using
> mplayer...
>  My current config is 2.0 ghz P4 + 512 ddr ram....

2.0GHz is not quite there to play 1080i, as far as I know.  People
were saying you'll need at least 2.4GHz, and to get some breathing
room you probably want to go 3.0GHz.  I used to play 1080i on my
desktop with 2.4GHz and I'll have to close other applications.  Now I
use 3.0GHz in my Pundit-R box.

>  And yes! I get the pink bar if I try to play 1080i..... but I think ( as I
> have read) i'ts mainly because of the custom resolution... (848x484 - on my
> Panasonic projector - PT-AE200)

I don't think so.  It may be a problem of the hardware, the driver, or
the Xvideo, or the combination of them.  I connect it to a 1024x768
HDTV monitor, I also tried to connect it to my 1600x1200 LCD monitor.
The pink bar is always there if I use Xv output.  I can only avoid
this problem with Xshm output, (-vo x11 in mplayer, NO_XV for Myth).

>  The funny thing is, that if I watch 1080i on DVB-s (euro1080) then no
> bars..... (but same resolution...) funny.

I would like to hear more about this.

>  This is exacly why I would like to use hardware acc. so I can sort these
> problems out.
>  Btw, a I don't use the TV-OUT on my pundit because I use VGA (uncompareable
> to tv-out witch is totaly cr at p on the pundit.) so there is no real need to
> use the fglrx drivers.....

I use radeon driver come with X.org.  glxgears gives me >1000 fps.
But I don't think the bottleneck is there.  And what do you mean by
mpeg2 acceleration?  Hardware decoding of mpeg2?  I don't think
IGP9100 has this ability.

Xiaotian