[mythtv-users] VGA to Component on WEGA

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu May 19 15:55:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Eric Jensen wrote:

> I have a Sony Wega FD Trinitron (KV-36FS100) hooked up with a VGA to
> Component adapter.  I am having some troubles getting it to output
> correctly on theTV.  I spent several hours going through various guides
> meant more for the HDTV models, but with no luck.  Mostly because I
> don't understand video at all, I'm sure.  It looks the the refresh and
> colors are good, the video doesn't roll or anything like that.  But it
> is squished and repeated into 3 columns accross the TV.  If anybody has
> some tips on what I need to put in my xorg.conf that would be greatly
> appreciated.  I'll put what I have now up too.

 	If it is squished and repeated three times, then the refresh is
*NOT* good.  The TV is not syncing to the signal you are providing.  It
sounds like it's catching the vertical sync, but not the horizontal.

>    ModeLine "ATSC-480-59.94p" 23.916 640 664 736 760 480 482 488 525

 	The frequencies on this seem to be correct for 480p (23.916e6/760
= 31.468kHz = 2x 15.734 kHz = 2x SDTV).  You might try appending one of
these to the end of the modeline to see if you can convince the transcoder
to change its sync to something the TV likes.
+vsync +hsync
+vsync -hsync
-vsync +hsync
-vsync -hsync

 	Also, check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and make sure you're
using the ATSC-480-59.94p modeline... the other ones are NOT 480p.  Since
you're seeing three squished images, I'm suspect that you are using the
72p one.

-Cory