[mythtv-users] Jarod - Here's Your Chance (AKA - Distro Cage Match)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri May 20 05:51:38 UTC 2005

On Thursday 19 May 2005 18:48, Michael Haan wrote:
> I know you're a big FC fan.  I've seen you quickly jump at the chance
> to defend FC when someone suggests they can get Myth up-and-running
> quickly on some other distro, say Gentoo.

Please let me clarify something... I'm NOT a distro hater. I'm a hater of
people who suggest that switching distributions will magically make
everything better (okay, and maybe a slight bit more hateful when the
suggestion is Gentoo). If you're very close, there's probably a lot less work
to do if you stick with whatever distribution you're using.

If a Gentoo user was extremely close to having a completely working system,
i.e., *exactly* like the case you present, I would NOT suggest switching to
FC just to try to fix that. About all you need is an appropriate kernel and
kernel modules and you're there, so why reinstall everything on a mostly
functional system?

> I myself have been running
> Gentoo/Myth for a little while now.  Initially, I was impressed with
> the ease of install of Myth on Gentoo (I'd tried FC before Gentoo, but
> there was some issue with AMD64 and apt-get).

Yes, apt doesn't work on multiarch (i386/x86_64 mix) systems like FC unless
you remove ALL the i386 bits. You have to use yum or smart instead. Known
issue. I'm running on a RHEL4 x86_64 box now without any problems, just used
yum instead (well, and up2date w/an RHN account...).

> Now, however, I am unhappy with Gentoo.  I have been trying for weeks
> to upgrade my kernel so that I can use my new pchdtv3000 card - with
> no luck.

Piece o' cake. :-)

> So, here's the challenge (all distros welcome).  Get my
> already-working-but-can't-move-forward machine working.  I want
> something like apt-get or ebuilds for the majority of my needs (I
> don't mind building cvs where it makes sense).  I want my pvr350 to
> continue working, my pchdtv3000 to start.  I'd like to leverage my
> cpu's 63-bit arch, where possible.

Stay with Gentoo, you're way too close to nuke it.

> I have tried SuSE 9.1/9.2, FC3 and Gentoo and only Gentoo has worked
> (this system is working, I just can't seem to upgrade it!!!).

No Debian? :-)

> Again, all distros welecome - who's up to the task?

If I had the time, I would shell into your Gentoo install right now and hook
you up. :-)

Seriously, all you need to do is start with a clean kernel, patch the latest
DVB code in on top of it, enable it, build it, and you're pretty much there.
Works for me anyhow (across multiple distros, I run several, not just FC).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...