[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Re: VGA to Component on WEGA

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri May 20 11:32:16 UTC 2005

>> 	You can conceivably get the component to work, but it doesn't buy
>> you a whole lot for 480i.  Basically, you'll get potentially *slightly*
>> more luminance resolution.  The chroma is the real benefit to component
>> over s-vid.  That just means you can do more vivid colors, and have higher
>> spatial color resolution.  It's measurably better, but probably not
>> "WOW-factor" better.
>
> I am just looking for *any* solution.  It doesn't have to be component,
> but the S-Video output on my card is completely unacceptable so I do not
> consider it an option.

 	OK.  I guess I could clarify that.  *GOOD* S-vid isn't that much
worse than component.  Unfortunately, many of the cards with tvout have
such sucky quality that it's unusable.  The homebrew hardware I built to
do s-vid from VGA gives results essentially the same as the component
adapter... just modulated as NTSC.  I have long since given up on TVOUT
from video cards for quality reasons.

-Cory