[mythtv-users] OT: IR wired extenders

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri May 20 12:50:17 UTC 2005

>>> Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> 05/20/05 4:13 AM >>>
> Anyone have a good plan / source / suggestion for a good IR
extender?

Sure.  I've got plenty of suggestions ;-)

> (Application: Frontend not in bedroom, TV and IR reciever in
> bedroom. Make S.O. very happy)

Fairly typical issue.  I had the same thing for a while.  Although now
I've
got a frontend in a cabinet about 8' from my TV and ended up needing
an IR extender.

> I've tried several off the shelf products, and I seem to have way
> too much interference to get them working. I've tried several of
> the integrated video/audio/IR senders with the same result. I get
> great video (have a sub 2gig product, a 2.4gig product, and a
> 5.8ghz product), but the IR lights seem to stay on solid and
> broadcast all kinds of "noise" which makes it impossible to use a
> remote.

Is there anything "special" about your situation?  i.e. - is your TV
flat panel or plasma that is touchy to Infrared interference?

> Upon looking closer at the video senders, none of them send IR
> over the same frequency / channel as the video/audio. They all
> use a 2nd set of xmitters in some low band, where I still get
> interfered with.

IR works fine over cat 5/6 without modification.  Just get an
IR receiver (like this one:

http://www.smarthome.com/8130br.html

The tabletop IR sensor - 8110.  Black and unobtrusive.

> My house is Cat6 wired so I'm tempted to find some way to
> just carry the IR directly.

Yep, that's what I do.

Paul