[mythtv-users] HD-3000 - Debian modprobe.conf Equivalent?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Fri May 20 14:52:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:13:37AM -0500, Patrick Kirchner wrote:
> > On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 08:57:27AM -0500, Patrick Kirchner wrote:
> > > I'm preparing my machine for the arrival of my HD-3000 card.  :)
> >
> > I just put cx88-dvb into my /etc/modules file and everything
> > works.
> >
> > I think you should only choose *one* of the above, depending on
> > how you want to run your HD-3000 card (e.g., v4l or DVB).
>
> I had no idea that I had a to decide v4l or DVB.  How should I
> decide?

DVB comes with kernels 2.6.12rc4 or something like that (or newer).
Check the pchdtv.com website for details.

V4L drivers will slowly die, but are the way to go if you have an
"old" kernel (2.6.9 or thereabouts), but you will have to patch the
kernel yourself.

MythTV support for DVB is less polished than with V4L (at least in my
experience) in terms of matching up the scanned channels with your
zap2it account (which I guess only matters if you're in USA), etc.

> Does it matter if I'm also going to be using an ATI TV Wonder bt878
> card?

Probably, but I can't help you here; I only have HD-3000 cards in my
system.

--Rob