[mythtv-users] Jarod - Here's Your Chance (AKA - Distro Cage Match)

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:57:53 UTC 2005

On 5/20/05, Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> What kernel are you currently running, what kernel are you trying to
> upgrade to, and what problem does it have?
>
> Also - are you trying to use the TV out on the 350? If not, your
> problem gets a lot less difficult, as you don't need to deal with
> framebuffer junk

> > I'm not so sure.  I think my hardware may be causing the issue (nVidia
> > all over the place and amd64 to boot).  I'd be inclined to agree with
> > you (not messing with a working system), except the fact of the matter
> > is - this system can't grow.  I cannot get a pchdtv3000 working b/c I
> > can't upgrade the kernel.  So, I'll put it back to you - who can make
> > myth box work (better than it does, with more H/W) and without me
> > having to install tons o' packages (just try catching all the
> > mythmusic dependancies)?
>
> What requirements are there on mythmusic that you aren't meeting? I
> imagine they are just slight issues with use flags, and maybe the
> faad2 issue of the missing header file. Other than that, I think I
> have 0.18-r2 working with no hitches on gentoo (not 64 bit, though)
>
>  - Jeff
>
> --
> email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites

I'm not using the tv out on the 350.  Here's the thing.  It's all
working just fine on 2.6.9 (including mythmusic).  But I got an HDTV
and a pchdtv3000 to go with it.  Getting that to work has been
troublesome.  Now, for various other reasons, I've wanted to upgrade
the kernel in the past.  But, everytime I do, I run into an issue with
sata_nv hanging.  I've opened a bug against the kernel for that.  But
now, with kernel support built-in for the 3000, I *really* want to
upgrade.  But, in researching the sata_nv bug, I've noticed that
nvidia networking (previously working via forcedeth) and mvidia
graphics (via the nvidia drivers) don't work.  So, rahter than
continuing to hit my head against the wall, I thought I'd put it out
there and see who knows how to make this work.  After all, my end goal
is not to run a Gentoo box, it's to run a Myth box.