[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: VGA to Component on WEGA

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri May 20 17:58:25 UTC 2005

 	I have re-read my post for brain farts but haven't found any.  I
did *not* say/mean that component is worse than s-vid.  I said that s-vid
is worse than component, but not necessarily by much.  What I was trying
to emphasize is that the tvout of most video cards (that I've used,
anyway) tends to blow chunks.  The quality of the s-vid out of these cards
is often much worse than broadcast *composite*.  They generally
suffer from horizontal, vertical, deinterlacing, and other temporal
scaling artifacts and loss of resolution.

 	If you have *good* quality s-video signal, the luminance bandwidth
can be arbitrarily good, and the chroma bandwidth can be pretty decent
(although still modulated on the color subcarrier).  I don't know what the
bandwidth filtering specs are for "standard" Y/C (s-vid)... maybe there
aren't any.  All YPbPr does for 480i over Y/C is not modulate the chroma
on the subcarrier.  The biggest improvement is from composite to Y/C,
since the luma and chroma don't share the same spectrum and can thus be
allocated a higher bandwidth and less interference with each other.

-Cory