[mythtv-users] Re: Resolution, screen size, and other related 'size' question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 23 14:28:31 UTC 2005

Chad wrote:

>That is extremely odd that VGA does a DAC first, and then the monitor
>has to do the ADC back, it would seem intelligent to have changed this
>WAAYYY back in the 'day' not wait until LCD's come out that require
>the DVI input (probably the "fix" I'm referring to).

Only a digital monitor has to do an ADC back.  A CRT uses the analog
signal.  LCD monitors and digital TV's generally have to do the
ADC--unless given a digital input.  Therefore, while we were using
CRT's, there was no reason to send the monitor a digital signal (since,
if we did, the monitor would have to do the DAC).  Really, it was not
until LCD monitors that we had a digital display technology (at least
one in common use) that required a digital signal.

Mike