[mythtv-users] Front-end, back-end, how about IR control?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue May 24 17:51:36 UTC 2005

Erik Terpstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have a MythBox yet, but I am planning to build one.
>
> One thing I don't understand. If I want MythTV divided over a front-end
> and a back-end.
> I would expect the back-end to have the TV card(s), because that machine
> has to do the recording.
> But the TV card has a IR remote control, and the remote control is what
> you would like to use in the living room where the front-end is.
>
> How does this work, or am I missing something?

You are correct. This is a downside of using a remote that comes
bundled with a TV card. Even though the IR receiver is connected
to the card, LIRC passes the key presses to mythfrontend. If the
card is in a different room than the frontend there will be this
problem. Your choices are:

- Rearrange things so that the card is in the same room as where
you need to use the remote control. This probably isn't your
best choice otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

- Run long wires from the IR receiver at the frontend to the card
in the backend. You would still have the problem of the key presses