[mythtv-users] Bottom-end MythTv Suggestions

Jason Rhodes jasonr at austcopolar.com.au
Wed May 25 00:46:12 UTC 2005

off list

im just going through a similar install...i bought a new pc for the
purpose but i built myth on a cele500 with the 150 to see how well
things went...

pvr-150 has mpeg2 on it so it means your already receiving mpeg2 streams
recording at mpeg2 should work on anything over a 266 mhz pc....i mean
really all your doing at the capture point is cat /dev/video0 >>
file.mpg....so its merely a copy to file...

transcoding wont be quick on a small box but transcoding can be ignored
unless you are short on diskspace  (2terabytes in my PC so i dont bother
transcoding...dvd is mpeg2 also so it's the easiest way for me to cut
them abck to dvd (tv series collections etc.

live tv on the 500 worked np but i have heard that people under 500 have
issues....try and see...make sure you have dma on on your harddisks and
it's not a via chipset mobo...via suck for dma channels..

other than that as long as you have alsa drivers and video drivers
(nvidia/ati if its a new card)  you should be fine....

be aware you need to use mplayer to test the pvr-150 ...xawtv etc do not
work with ivtv cards....and the pvr-150 drivers you need atm are on
www.ivtv.tv......version 3 drivers unstable..

  _____