[mythtv-users] Re: Choppy Video Problems

Chris Picton chrisp at tangent.co.za
Wed May 25 11:54:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 06:34 -0500,  Childe Roland wrote:
> Even when I'm not recording anything the MythTV box seems to like to
> hog a LOT of RAM.  I went into the System Status menu and it told me
> it was using about 450 MB of my 501 of RAM.  I did a refresh and it
> went down to 316 MB, I would think that that is still wayyyyy too much
> for something at an idle.  WHat have you guys experienced?  Should it
> be using that much RAM while it's not active???

Try opening a cmd line prompt and running 'free'

The second line tells you your actual mem usage:

mythtv root # free
             total       used       free     shared   buffers     cached
Mem:        483836     476464       7372          0     66456     279204
-/+ buffers/cache:     130804     353032
Swap:       500432       8496     491936

I have ~ 483 Megs RAM, 476 used, but only 130 megs is used by running
programs.  The linux kernel is using the rest for file buffers and
cache.  The buffer/cache is available for use by the system though, so
it will be freed up if needed.

--
        Chris Picton | PGP Key ID: 9D28A988 (wwwkeys.pgp.net)