[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:30:37 UTC 2005

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> 's kinda what i was afraid of ... plus, sns are so easy to put together
> (can't count how many terminations i've done w/ the TH-IT1000) .. esp
> when the crimper and stripper come in one tool! :)
>
> i've got to run cable tonite (renting out the basement and the renters
> are moving in tmw), so i guess i'll go with the hex for now and upgrade
> when i have some extra cash ... not really too concerned about the coax
> running to their tvs in the basment, and i think i've got enough
> pre-terminated (by me) rg6 cable(s) to run what i need for inet and myth

If/when you do upgrade, consider re-terminating the basement work. One
less-than-optimum termination can degrade the signal throughout the
building. We use a Comsonics test unit to troubleshoot and optimize
b-band cable for our customers. It's absolutely amazing how much the SNR
and BER improve as poor quality terminations/splitters are replaced in
the process.

If there is enough interest, I'll write up a howto on broadband cable
residential distribution.

--
meatwad