[mythtv-users] PVR-150 status?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:10:43 UTC 2005

On 5/26/05, Milos Prudek <prudek at bvx.cz> wrote:

> > I installed a new, external 300GB 1394 hard drive to act as video
> > storage. It seemed to be working fine as of this mornig when I left.
> > I'm sure I'll hear from my 75+ year old Linux using parents if it
> > fails!
>
> What about live and recorded video? Is the video choppy?

Seems fine. We have a PVR-250 here at our house. The 150 I installed
at my parents place looks OK to me. Not even XBox performance problems
to worry about so far. Please remember it's only been installed and
running a couple of days.

> Are the scaling issues resolved by "set all of the Recording Profiles in
> TV Setup to 720x480. " as Tony wrote to this mailing list on 3/23/2005?

the screen was overscanning a bit. My parents didn't seem to care so I
didn't mess with it. The plan is to replace this XBox very soon with
some other unit (Pundit-R probably) so it didn't seem too important to
spend much time on that while right now.

> Any issues with sound? Jason Werpy mentioned this on 05/13/2005.

I had the same issue I sometimes have with our 250. I start a show and
the first 15-30 seconds don't have sound. If I stop and start again I
get sound.

> Any other features that are supported for PVR-250 has and not supported
> for PVR-150?

Not sure. the most obvious good feature about the 150 is contrary to
the Hauppage site which says the '150 is the priced reduced version of
the 250' it appears that the 150 with the 0.3.3k driver is actually
dual tuner. However I haven't tried recording from the second tuner
yet.

I want to warn that we are not very concerned about that stuff. My mom
was taken ill a few weeks ago and I built this quickly so she could
watch some recorded TV while she's recovering. She's not critical
about the picture or anything else. She's used to watching from a VCR
tape so this is an improvement for her but it might not satisfy
someone who wants to be critical about things. All I can say is so far
it looks pretty equivalent to what I get from our 250.

Cheers,
Mark